Bolingbrook, Ill. (Oct. 17, 2017) – Beko US (www.bekoappliances.com) is proud to announce that one of its sponsored teams, the University of California at Berkeley/ University of Denver, has won first prize in the appliance competition of the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2017. The team’s home, RISE, which stands for Residential, Inviting, Stackable, Efficient, showcased innovative and energy-efficient Beko appliances, including a refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher and compact washer/dryer.
In addition, four of the seven teams sponsored by Beko and its sister company, Blomberg (www.blombergappliances.com) – the University of Maryland, UC Berkeley/U of Denver, the Missouri University of Science & Technology, and the University of Alabama at Birmingham – placed second through fifth respectively in the overall competition behind the winning team from Switzerland.
“Through our sponsorship of the Solar Decathlon, we are honored to support the next generation of energy experts and the advancement of energy-efficient products and designs in American homes,” said Hasan Yardimci, president, Beko US, Inc. “We are also thrilled that the university teams we sponsored were so successful.”
Beko, the #1 European freestanding appliance brand just introduced into the North American market, and Blomberg, an ever-expanding line of contemporary European design and energy efficient products for builders, designers and architects of multi-unit buildings, have achieved the ENERGY STAR certification for over 90% of their major appliances.
The appliances contest was designed to mimic the appliance use of an average U.S. home. Teams earned points for operating their refrigerator and freezer, washing and drying laundry, simulating cooking tasks and hot showers.
Six of the seven homes sponsored by Beko and Blomberg showcased the companies’ innovative heat pump dryer technology, which made the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) 2017 ENERGY STAR Most Efficient list for using 50 percent less energy than conventional dryers.. The ventless heat pump technology uses a closed-loop heat exchange system to dry at lower temperatures, saving money on energy bills and providing superior protection for clothes.
Six of the seven homes also featured Beko and Blomberg dishwashers that have earned ENERGY STAR marks for using advanced technology to clean dishes brilliantly with less water and energy. Unique design features include multiple insulation layers to reduce thermal loss, and a variable speed circulation motor that automatically adjusts for optimum water and energy consumption.
The collegiate competition in Denver, Colo., on Oct. 5-15, challenged the 11 participating university teams to design and build full-size, solar-powered houses. The overall winner was the team that best blended design excellence and smart energy production with innovation, market potential, and energy and water efficiency. Teams also competed for prizes in the architecture, market potential, engineering, communications, innovation, water, health and comfort, appliances, home-life, and energy contests.
Here are the contest results for the Beko- and Blomberg-sponsored homes:
- University of Maryland’s reACT, a prototype for a “house as a kit of parts” design concept, earned second place overall, as well as second place in innovation, fourth place in water contest and appliances, and fifth place in market potential and architecture.
- Missouri University of Science and Technology’s SILO (Smart Innovative Living Oasis) earned fourth place overall, as well as third place in appliances and innovation, and fourth place in architecture and communications.
- University of Alabama at Birmingham’s surviv(AL) home, with a composite and steel “strong room” that extends below the level of the house’s subfloor, earned fifth place overall, in addition to third place in homelife, and fourth place in health and comfort and market potential.
- Northwestern University’s Enable, an ENergized and AdaptABLE home for retired baby boomers, earned sixth place overall, as well as first in market potential and communication, third in engineering, and fifth in appliances. In addition, the award for Super Awesome House (aka the Kid's Choice Award) went to Enable.
- Washington University – St. Louis’s single precast concrete structure, intended as a demonstration of integrated advanced building technology, earned tenth place overall, in addition to second place in architecture, third in architecture, fourth in innovation, and fifth in water.
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and Daytona State College’s BEACH (Building Efficient, Affordable, and Comfortable Homes) House earned eleventh place overall and third place in market potential.
- University of California at Berkeley and University of Denver’s RISE, a stackable solution for urban infill, earned third place overall, first in appliances, and second place in health and comfort and homelife.
Beko US, Inc. was founded in June 2016 and recently opened a distribution center in Bolingbrook, Ill.
About Beko US, Inc.
Beko US, Inc. is a subsidiary of Arçelik A.S., whose vision is “Respects the globe, Respected globally.” The company is committed to developing highly energy efficient electrical appliances that deliver exceptional value, superior quality and high levels of customer satisfaction by listening and responding to the needs of consumers. With a growing presence in 140 countries worldwide, Beko is the fastest growing major appliance brand in Europe and the top-selling brand in the United Kingdom. Backed by state-of-the-art technology and award-winning energy efficiency, Beko’s premium features are competitively priced and a beautiful addition to any home. In June 2016, Beko secured a place in the U.S. market, with retailer commitments and a sister brand,Blomberg, a top choice in premium developments across North America since 2008. Blomberg, a valued international brand since 1883, offers an ever-expanding line of contemporary European design and energy efficient products for builders, designers and architects of multi-unit buildings. The company utilizes the most advanced technology and features, and the highest quality materials to achieve cutting-edge performance found in larger footprint homes, but optimized for smaller urban living spaces. In 2017, Beko US, Inc. received the Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year Award for its outstanding contributions to protecting the environment through energy efficiency. Beko is also the 2017 TWICE VIP Award winner in the high-efficiency washer category. For more information, visit www.bekoappliances.com or www.blombergappliances.com.